- Sink Dimensions: 24-5/8" X 18-1/2" X 9-1/2" Min. Cabinet Size: 30"
Last updated on 2022-07-02 at 08:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Each day that you walk into your kitchen and watch that old, stainless steel kitchen sink, you yearn for an upgrade.
At the height of your fantasies is a marble kitchen sink. Oh, the beautiful colors and the intricate veins that pop out of the subdued background.
But suddenly you wake up with a jolt when you see the sink crack as you accidentally drop a large pan on it.
Shit happens! Marble, as alluring as it may seem, is not a great choice of material for a kitchen sink unless you are Spiderman and can catch every object that can potentially damage it.
The next best bet is quartz, an engineered composite that almost looks like marble and can take an absolute beating without chipping or cracking.
Quartz kitchen sinks have become extremely popular in the recent past due to their semblance of natural stone and their durability, which is in the same league as stainless steel.
However, there are a lot of variations in quartz and unless you are aware of what to look out for, you might well be taken for a ride.
That’s where we step in folks.
Here’s our quartz kitchen sink buying guide for newbies and DIY home renovators.
24.6 x 18.5 x 9.5 inches
32.6 x 18.4 x 9.2 inches
33 x 20 x 9.5 inches
25 x 22 x 9.5 inches
Table of Contents
Quartz Sink Reviews 2022
Elkay Quartz Classic ELGU2522 Single Bowl Sink
- Resistant to all types of damaging agents
- Very functional, extra deep and super easy to clean
- Looks simple but elegant enough to be the focal point of your kitchen
- Perfect for small kitchens due to a lower width but being deeper
- The water drains rather slowly when compared to a rounded sink
- The installation can be a bit challenging, especially if you’re doing it for the first time
MR Direct 848 Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- The material itself works as a natural sound-deadener, meaning it would be quiet when being used
- Surprisingly low maintenance and easy to clean
- The fitting is a bit of a hassle
- It may get scratches if you’re very rough with the way you use it
Elkay Quartz Classic ELGUS3322 Single Bowl Undermount Sink
- Extremely deep and would allow you to put and wash all your utensils comfortably
- Very durable and resistant to all kinds of damaging elements like scratches, stains, chipping, heat and more
- The material itself is naturally “quiet,” meaning you wouldn’t have to worry about the lack of proper sound insulation
- Can be challenging to use a large garbage disposal as it’s too deep
Elkay Quartz Classic ELG2522 Single Bowl Top Mount Sink
- Durable to all forms of damages such as chipping and heat issues, while also being resistant to scratches and stains
- Handles the banging of heavy items well and wouldn’t get damaged easily
- Not very demanding in terms of maintenance while being surprisingly easy to clean
- A very quiet sink thanks to it being made using a naturally sound-insulated material
- Some users might find the knockout plugs a bit of a problem during the installation
The quality of the composite
To the untrained eye, all quartz sinks may look identical. They have a very smooth, unblemished, matte finish. Unlike natural stone, there are no variations or striations in the stone to help detect a bad batch.
However, there can be a marked difference in the quality of two sinks.
Because it depends on the ratio of natural ground quartz with resins, polymers, and pigments. The typical ratio that most manufacturers use is 90-10. That’s up to 90% of ground quartz and up to 10% of additives, give or take.
If you are unsure about this, ask the manufacturer or retailer about it. Most good brands will be more than willing to help you with the exact details.
The color of the stone
The coarseness of the ground quartz particles will determine whether the stone has a flecked or a smooth finish. You can also pick quartz that mimics granite and marble in the finish. One of the most recent entrants is a cement-finish quartz.
You can match or go contrast with the countertop. If you have a quartz countertop as well, then matching the countertop with a quartz sink creates a seamless look for the kitchen. These are called integrated sinks and are usually custom made. Hence, they may be pricier than the rest.
Alternatively, you can also match it with the cabinetry.
You must be aware though that darker colored quartz sinks tend to be more revealing about scratches than lighter ones. Contradictorily, lighter colored stones will reveal stains easily.
Yeah, we know what you are wondering. Isn’t quartz supposed to be impervious to dings and stains?
Well, even if you have a sink made of the most durable material on earth, it will get scratched in due time. That’s an unavoidable aspect of kitchen sink maintenance.
Quartz is no different.
With proper care, it will look as good as new for years. But if you are like most others, a stain or a crack is just a moment’s distraction away.
Quartz kitchen sinks usually cost around $200 to $600. That’s a huge price bracket to choose from.
It tends to be cheaper in local stone yards as compared to big box home improvement outlets. Also, a stone yard will be more than happy to throw in a few extras, like installation and maintenance from a skilled local contractor at a great price.
Alternatively, you can buy the quartz sink and look for a local installer to compare prices.
When you are out shopping for quartz sinks, you will most likely come across three popular brands.
These are Silestone, Cambria, and Elkay. Despite what the retail outlet might say, there’s very little or no difference in the quality of the quartz that these brands sell. It’s just that outlets often try to promote one brand over the other.
Well, one difference about Elkay is that their products are made right here in the USA. So, if that’s a decider, then you have a brand already.
But apart from that, there’s nothing really, to differentiate among these.
In fact, there are many other, newer brands like Zodiaq, Celador, and LG Viatera that might offer better and more competitive prices than the top 3.
Choose the bowl configuration
You can choose from round, rectangular or square ones as well.
The type and shape you choose should be in tune with your needs. Smaller bowls are perfect as prep bowls or decorative bowls whereas large single bowls are perfect for busy kitchens with lots of bakeware and pans.
A multi-bowl sink lets you soak the dishes or do your prep work over the sink bowl.
24.6 x 18.5 x 9.5 inches
32.6 x 18.4 x 9.2 inches
33 x 20 x 9.5 inches
25 x 22 x 9.5 inches
Be aware of the maintenance
Most of the marketing for quartz sinks are underscored by talks about it being scratch, stain, bacteria, and odor resistant.
However, you must still perform basic sink maintenance.
- Quartz is usually heat resistant up to 535 °F. But, it’s best if you avoid placing hot pans or crock pots directly on the sink. Instead, use trivets or hot pads.
- Always clean with a mild soap and water only. Never use abrasive chemicals.
- Clean stains immediately before they dry
Can’t make up your mind yet? Read our reviews of various kitchen sink materials and types before you proceed with your purchase:
- Acrylic Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – The Colorful Material
- Best Bar Sinks 2022 – If your Bar Sink Stinks Your Party Sinks
- Best Copper Sinks 2022 – The Classy Material for Sinks
- Best Drop-In Sink 2022 – Enjoy The Ease of Installation
- Best Fireclay Sinks 2022 – The Heat Resistant Material
- Best Laundry Sink 2022 – The Lifeline of Your Laundry Room
- Best Stainless Steel Kitchen Sinks 2022 – The Wise Material for Sinks
- Cast Iron Sink Reviews 2022 – The Super Durable Material
- Farmhouse Sink Reviews 2022 – The Antique Sinks
- Granite Sink Reviews 2022 – The Indestructible Material
- Porcelain Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – The Old School Material
- Undermount Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – The Discreet Sinks
You should also check out our individual reviews of kitchen sinks:
- Blanco Silgranit Sink Reviews 2022 – More Comfort In Your Kitchen
- Elkay Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – Sinks With Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Franke Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – The Brand With Superior Safety Standards
- Houzer Sink Reviews 2022 – There Is A Sink For Every Occasion
- Kohler Sink Reviews 2022 – There Is A Sink For All Budgets
- Kraus Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – A Minimalist Design With An Urban Feel
- Mr Direct Sinks Reviews 2022 – Sinks Made To Perfection
- Ruvati Kitchen Sink Reviews 2022 – Quality You Can Trust, Functionality You Will Love
- Sinkology Farmhouse Sink Reviews 2022 – When Practicality Meets Art
- Swanstone Kitchen Sinks Reviews 2022 – Superior Impact Strength, Heat Resistance, Durability
- Vigo Sink Reviews 2022 – Sophisticated Yet Minimalist Designs
- Zuhne Sink Reviews 2022 – Reliable With Excellent Build Quality