- CURVED APRON FARM SINK WITH ACCESSORIES Premium deep basin farm house installs undermount, flush or built up - includes Scratch Protector Grid, Sponge Holder, Colander Set and Drain Strainer
Last updated on 2021-02-05 at 11:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
When renovating or designing a new kitchen, one of the more important centerpieces which you have to consider is the type of sink that you plan to install. There are a number of seemingly endless options available when selecting a sink, and they all come with their fair share of pros and cons.
When it comes to layout and design, the kitchen is one of the more integral spaces within the home. For functionality and cosmetic purposes, it is essential that you make the correct decor choices when designing your kitchen.
Within this buying guide, we will provide farmhouse sink reviews to assist you in deciding if it is the proper apparatus for your kitchen. This is a characteristically distinctive sink, which also goes by the name of the farm sink, country sink, and apron sink.
36 x 21 x 10 inches
35.9 x 20.8 x 10 inches
33 x 22 x 9 inches
34 x 21.6 x 9.6 inches
Best Farmhouse Sink For The Money 2021
Kraus KHF200-36 Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Beautiful design and durable finish
- Offers easy installation options
- Provides noise absorption and reduction
- Certified for authenticity
- Doesn’t provide any additional hardware accessories for installation
- Not an anti-corrosive unit
Zuhne Prato Deep Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Premium-grade 16-gauge stainless steel construction
- Non-toxic finish and undercoat
- Scratch-resistant finish that eventually develops a subtle patina
- Three mounting options: positive reveal, flush and negative reveal
- DualPro undercoating protects cabinets from water and condensation
- Water might not drain as quick due to pitch that is relatively gradual
Kraus KHF203-36 60/40 Double Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Comes with a lifetime warranty (limited)
- Easy to install
- Comes with a basket strainer and bottom grids
- Sound reduction additions
- Carefully chosen dimensions, so it can fit in most kitchens
- Lighter than similar models
- Standard drain opening
- All elements for the installation are included in the package
- The installation process should be done by two people.
Sinkology Adams Handmade Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
- Has big dimensions and offers a lot of space
- The sink installation process is simple
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Perfect for small and big kitchens.
- The design may look too old to some people
- It’s heavy
- Hard to make it fit perfectly
KOHLER Vault Single Bowl Four Faucet Hole Kitchen Sink
- SilentShield technology reduces noise from dish clatter
- The surface has high resistance to heat
- Stainless steel keeps the sink durable and resistant to rust
- The convenient body design is easy to install and remodel
- Water can stain stainless steel surface if kept unchecked
- Will clash with your bathroom decor. For kitchen installation only
KOHLER K-6489 Whitehaven Self-Trimming Single Basin Sink
- Plenty of room
- No permanent stains or fading or color
- Doesn’t handle scratches well
- Prone to stains and scuff marks
Barclay FS30 Fire Clay Farmer Sink
- A standard-sized garbage disposal can be used with the Barclay FS30 Fireclay Farmer Sink
- Unlike the rivals, the sink can be rotated (during installation) to have the drain on either side
- It’s well-packed, so it doesn’t arrive in more pieces than your favorite jigsaw puzzle
- The FS30 fireclay sink comes with a one-year product warranty against product defects
- Surprisingly enough, it does not come with an installation template
- One would have to purchase a grate to prevent scratches to the item
What Is A Farmhouse Sink?
If you are helplessly prone toward utilizing your kitchen sink as a type of workstation for all sorts of projects, you may want to seriously consider a farmhouse sink for your renovation project. The name farmhouse sink is derived from the style of the sink.
Unlike other types of sinks, which have its bowl hidden within the interior of a sink cabinet, the entire sink sits on top of a kitchen cabinet which is designed for use with a farmhouse sink. Due to its exposed design, choosing the best farm sink which integrates well with the remainder of your kitchen decor is essential to the process.
Also known as an apron sink, a farmhouse sink will often be adorned with a decoration on its front section, providing you with a healthy number of options. Most farmhouse kitchen sinks are vertically flush with the adjacent cabinets. However, there are some models which may protrude a few inches.
From a practical standpoint, the greatest asset of a farmhouse sink is that it offers a larger volume capacity than most standard sized kitchen sinks. This sink style is geared toward several types of individuals, all who may have varying needs and preferences. It provides a tremendous amount of utility if space is your thing.
For instance, if you are one who prefers (either by choice or necessity) to handwash larger pots and pans, the farmhouse sink provides ample space to do so comfortably and effectively. Another popular reason for utilizing this type of sink is that it allows you to keep your dish rack situated within the sink instead of on the countertop, and thus conserving space.
Another valid reason for the use of a farmhouse sink is the need for more space relative to performing various projects. Many of the best apron sinks feature the single large bowl design; however, you can also find models with a double or triple bowl layout. Thinking it out in advance and determining the sink’s primary use should help you in deciding how many bowls are best suited for your specific needs.
Advantages of Using a Farmhouse Sink
Large Capacity Basin
As previously mentioned, the primary, overwhelming benefit of a farmhouse sink is that it provides a larger capacity than most other models to handle large loads and objects comfortably. If you are one who often works on a variety of projects and requires space, this is the sink for you. The larger size assists with all phases of your project from setup to clean up.
Available In a Variety of Materials
Yes, size does matter, but the type of material the sink is constructed from should also be a critical determining factor in your ultimate decision. The kind of manufacturing material not only adds (or detracts) from the quality of the product, but it also plays a role in how well you can integrate the sink within the surrounding decor.
It is important to note that when you are deciding on a new sink, you must balance the necessities of functionality with aesthetics. This, at times, could be similar to walking a tightrope, as anyone who has ever redecorated can attest to. And since the farmhouse sink has a predominantly exposed layout, a wrong turn here can send the design job heading south in a hurry.
Supplementing its functionality, the farmhouse sink style is available in stainless steel, porcelain, fireclay, cast iron, copper and a granite composite. Picking on the best material for farmhouse sink to match your kitchen surrounding is not the only issue here. Some of these materials are quite expensive, and due to the large size of the sink, the cost must be factored accordingly.
The Rustic Look
If you are a big fan of the rustic look within your home, the installation of a farmhouse kitchen sink is the most agreeable solution. This is a popular design for country homes, cottages, and ranch houses.
It is important to note that farmhouse sinks are also manufactured with a standard depth for those who do not favor the relatively deep reach of most models. This may be the case for people who may be of shorter stature or just prefer less depth.
More Adaptable Workspace
Since there is no countertop space between the person utilizing the sink and the sink edge, the farmhouse sink provides a more friendly workspace. Again, this all depends on how you intend to use your sink the majority of the time.
Disadvantages of Using a Farmhouse Sink
The Potential for Back Strain
With their deep basin design, even the best apron front sink can cause back issues for a taller user who has to repeatedly reach down into the sink when washing dishes. If you have back issues but still enjoy the benefits of this type of sink, you may want to consider the standard depth model to give your back a break.
Not Ideal for People of Short Stature
We touched upon the fact that the deep bottom portion of the sink can make it rather tricky for shorter individuals and children to reach into the sink. Of course, you can remedy this deficiency by standing on a chair; however, this will entail having to awkwardly bend down, which is not recommended for safety purposes.
May Require Custom Cabinetry
Due to its uniqueness, the farmhouse sink may need you to install a custom cabinet as well. Depending on the cabinet manufacturer which you choose, this type of customization may or may not be available. Again, it pays to do your homework in advance and know what you are getting into. Buying the best farmhouse sink without a custom cabinet to pair it with can cause quite an expensive predicament.
Unique Design Not Suitable For All Tastes
They say different strokes for different folks. The distinct, unique design of a farmhouse sink is not for everybody. It is a design which must be carefully thought out and implemented into your remodeling plans. If you do not like the look of this particular type of sink, then it may just not be for you.
Cannot Be Used to Replace a Standard Kitchen Sink
The farmhouse sink has a limitation in that you cannot replace a standard kitchen sink with it unless the cabinet is replaced or customized. You must calculate this additional expense when determining if this is the route you would like to go. These types of complications are best avoided with proper planning of your remodeling project.
Farmhouse Sink Design Pairings
As previously mentioned, a farmhouse sink is predominantly a rustic look. They can effectively fit into settings which feature country, old world, French country, eclectic and traditional styles. It would make sense to steer clear of matching this type of sink with more modern or contemporary looks.
Ultimately, the design is all about personal taste. However, you should make sure that you are not trying to fit a square into a circle. If matched up incorrectly, they can stick out like a sore thumb and actually detract from the aesthetic ambiance of your kitchen.
Farmhouse Sink Pricing
In the case of farmhouse sinks, most of them fall within the median range of $500-$1,200. As you can see, the best farmhouse sink for the money is not considerably more expensive than other types of sinks. Of course, this is all dependant on the quality of the sink, as not all sinks are created equal.
The actual price of the sink will be dependant on the size, material it is manufactured from and the style. Shopping around for the best price on farmhouse sink often nets positive results in attaining savings. The discontinued models are known to have the lowest prices for this type of sink.
Also, keep in mind the expense of customizing the cabinetry, as this all goes hand in hand with the installation of the sink. If you are a do-it-yourselfer and think that you can handle the work, this will save on labor costs. Keep in mind that there is a certain amount of expertise required to install such a sink and may not be a job for novices or beginners.
Is A Farmhouse Sink Right For You?
If you are the type of person who does not particularly fancy dishwashers and have adopted a hands-on approach to dishwashing, then you will greatly appreciate the enhanced capacity of a farmhouse sink. If you are blessed with a large family, entertain quite often or need to wash large quantities, then this style is better suited for your needs.
Since these sinks have a significant amount of character incorporated in their design, they are not for everybody. You must also take into account the decor surroundings to ensure the sink will seamlessly integrate and not detract from the space.
36 x 21 x 10 inches
35.9 x 20.8 x 10 inches
33 x 22 x 9 inches
34 x 21.6 x 9.6 inches
A superior quality farmhouse kitchen sink not only exhibits its prowess in size and capacity, but it also offers compelling design choices with plenty of character to spare. The proper selection of the sink enables it to become one of the showcase pieces in your kitchen.
Let’s be clear: the farmhouse sink is not for everyone, and it especially has detractors who are not particularly fond of the rustic style. Its deep setting can also create usage problems for those of short stature or children. Back problems can also become an issue if you spend an extended period bending and reaching down into the sink.
Selecting a kitchen sink not only reflects the functionality of the unit, but also the personality of the person who is choosing it. The farmhouse sink comes off as having a rugged character and is better suited for those who are hands-on types. If you are the type who prefers to load the dishwasher and press a button, then a farmhouse sink may not be ideal for you.
Whether you have a big family, are a frequent entertainer in your home or deal with cooking or projects which require large capacity cleaning, a farmhouse sink may be a good fit. Only you know what you are expecting from the usage of your sink.
We have heard many horror stories of a renovation gone wrong. This is usually due to poor planning and managing of the job. Redecorating a kitchen can be an expensive proposition and making sure you do it right the first time is essential.
Selecting the proper kitchen sink for your project is an important part of this equation. Also, keep in mind of additional costs such as cabinet customization that the installation of a farmhouse sink usually requires. Having access to the proper sink means that you can do your washing in a more efficient manner. It is not all about looks, as sometimes it is about getting the most out of your time and money.
With some careful planning in advance, you can ensure that your kitchen renovation project does not become a complete wash.
Can’t make up your mind yet? Read our reviews of various kitchen sink materials and types before you proceed with your purchase:
- Acrylic Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – The Colorful Material
- Best Bar Sinks 2021 – If your Bar Sink Stinks Your Party Sinks
- Best Copper Sinks 2021 – The Classy Material for Sinks
- Best Drop-In Sink 2021 – Enjoy The Ease of Installation
- Best Fireclay Sinks 2021 – The Heat Resistant Material
- Best Laundry Sink 2021 – The Lifeline of Your Laundry Room
- Best Stainless Steel Kitchen Sinks 2021 – The Wise Material for Sinks
- Cast Iron Sink Reviews 2021 – The Super Durable Material
- Granite Sink Reviews 2021 – The Indestructible Material
- Porcelain Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – The Old School Material
- Quartz Composite Sinks Review 2021 – The Material That Resembles Natural Stone
- Undermount Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – The Discreet Sinks
You should also check out our individual reviews of kitchen sinks:
- Blanco Silgranit Sink Reviews 2021 – More Comfort In Your Kitchen
- Elkay Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – Sinks With Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Franke Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – The Brand With Superior Safety Standards
- Houzer Sink Reviews 2021 – There Is A Sink For Every Occasion
- Kohler Sink Reviews 2021 – There Is A Sink For All Budgets
- Kraus Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – A Minimalist Design With An Urban Feel
- Mr Direct Sinks Reviews 2021 – Sinks Made To Perfection
- Ruvati Kitchen Sink Reviews 2021 – Quality You Can Trust, Functionality You Will Love
- Sinkology Farmhouse Sink Reviews 2021 – When Practicality Meets Art
- Swanstone Kitchen Sinks Reviews 2021 – Superior Impact Strength, Heat Resistance, Durability
- Vigo Sink Reviews 2021 – Sophisticated Yet Minimalist Designs
- Zuhne Sink Reviews 2021 – Reliable With Excellent Build Quality