As an interior designer, I know how important knives can be to the overall aesthetic of a modern-day kitchen.
However, looks are not the only things that a knife set should possess.
What a lot of the knife manufacturers get wrong, is that in pursuit of elegance and sophistication, they often compromise on a knife’s sharpness and balance.
But J.A. Henckels is one of the very few brands that perfectly balances out both aesthetics and utility when it comes to their knife models.
They have a very versatile line-up, which I had the privilege of familiarising myself with in one of the culinary conventions which came to my neighbor last week.
And that is precisely why I have selected my top four favorites from the brand and cooked up a review to help out those who are in search of a high-quality yet affordable knife set.
So, sit back and read along.
Henckels Steak Knives Review 2020
This steak knife-set is made with the professional kitchen in mind and comes with a steel blade that is made with a unique proprietary formula which has been perfected for over 280 years.
Now, these knives are some of the most chip and stain resistant that I have seen and it’s all because of the Zwilling’s signature ice-hardening technique that goes behind their make.
It’s one of the reasons why my uncle loves this set so much, and I can hardly see him part with it when he is working at the restaurant.
What do I like about this set?
Apart from the outstanding blade, what made me recommend this knife set today is also the handle that each of the models boasts.
The handles sport a classic “three rivets” design along with full tangs which apart from making the knives incredible to look at, also makes it very easy to use and wield.
Additionally, one feature about the blade that I would like to mention here is that their backs are ground. It’s one feature that’s found in only the best steak knives, so you know that you’re in good hands when going for this set.
However, there is one thing about this knife set that I would like J.A Henckels to work on, and that is their dishwasher compatibility.
These knives are not dishwasher compatible, and I find that to be a slight inconvenience if I am being completely honest.
- Thin, light, and durable blades will last you for years
- Elegant and sophisticated handle design, which is also easy to wield
- The thin grounded blade can help you slice steak in precise pieces
- Not dishwasher compatible, which can be an inconvenience for a lot of users
J.A. Henckels Chef Knife Review 2020
Bob Kramer is a highly celebrated master bladesmith in the kitchen knife industry, and KRAMER was the first line of models created by J.A Henckels in collaboration with him.
Bob has over 18 years of experience in knife blade making, and with the KRAMER they have tried to make an exact carbon steel replica of Bob’s very own Olympia line.
These knives, just like the Olympia models, are characterized by extremely wide blades and an incredibly sharp edge.
What do I like about it?
The wider and broader design of the Chef’s Knife is what attracts me the most towards it.
This KRAMER model is just perfect for both amateur and professional use. The wider blade is capable of maximizing knuckle clearance, so if you are like me and you have relatively larger hands, then this knife can be the perfect addition to your kitchen.
However, larger gripping space is not the only thing that the blade design allows. As the edge is made to be very sharp, the great balancing feature of these knives will allow you to go through large produce and tough meat with relative ease.
Moreover, the blade is paired with an amazing “hand-shaped Grenadilla wood handle with brass rivets” and a Bob Kramer mosaic pin to give it that touch of elegance and sophistication.
But what disappoints me is that the bolster is not completely flush with the handle on both the top and bottom parts; the fit and finish could have been better.
- The knives are perfectly balanced for use by both amateurs and professionals
- The sharper and wider blade will give more knuckle clearance and go through large produce easily
- Made as a replica of Bob Kramer’s Olympia line
- The fit and finish of the handle was a bit disappointing
J.A. Henckels Classic Knife Set Review 2020
This International Classic knife block set from J.A. Henckels is just amazing when it comes to supplying any kitchen with the perfect cutting, dicing, and slicing solution.
Each of the knives in the block is of a professional caliber but comes at a very affordable and budget-friendly price.
This is precisely the reason why, though professional-grade, these knives are very popular in the domestic sphere. And their ease of use makes them the perfect choice for amateur chefs as well.
What do I like about this set?
For me, the major highlight of this knife box set is going to be durability and ease of use.
Now, contrary to popular belief, this knife block set was not made in either Germany or China, but in Spain instead. They are also made of the same steel as that of the Henckel’s German-made models but offer a much better fit and finish.
The knives boast amazing value for money as well and come at almost half the price as that of their German counterparts.
In terms of durability, the hand-honed blades of the knives guarantee a precision cut every time, and will also stay sharper for a much longer period and resist almost all forms of staining.
The handle of each of the knives is easy to grip and almost unbreakable, but I did notice some balancing issues with them, especially with the Chef’s Knife.
I did not find the center of gravity to lie on the border between the blade and the handle; hence, I did have to use it awkwardly from time to time.
- A high-quality set of knives at a very budget-friendly price
- Each knife is highly durable and easy to use
- Easily allows for a precision cut with each stroke
- There are some balancing issues with the Chef’s knife
J.A. Henckels International Statement Reviews 2020
When it comes to aesthetic appeal, I don’t believe that many knife sets will be able to compete with what International Statement from J.A. Henckels is able to bring to the table.
This high-quality, low maintenance set is ideal for all home chefs, and are capable of achieving everyday tasks with relative ease.
The block contains all the necessary knives and is a versatile set that can help you out with a variety of cutting jobs.
What do I like about this set?
Fabricated from superior stainless steel, these lightweight knives are very easy to maneuver and provide a fantastic balance and comfort when chopping large celery or slicing meat.
The unique design of the stainless steel end-caps is what makes these knives so very pleasing to look at. It adds modernity and elegance to help them suit a variety of kitchen settings and adds a touch of excitement to the otherwise dull job of cutting vegetables.
But don’t let their elegant design fool you into thinking that these knives are delicate in any way!
They have a single-piece, precision-stamped construction that allows for a long-lasting durability and stain resistance.
My only gripe with this set is with the steak knives. The serrations present on the blades tear apart the meat instead of cutting it into fine and meticulous slices.
But it’s not exactly a deal-breaker, and the rest of the set more than makes up for it.
- One of the most aesthetically appealing knife sets in the market today
- Precision-stamped constructions keep them long-lasting and durable
- Low-maintenance blades can achieve everyday tasks rather well
- The serration on the steak knives tears the meat instead of cutting it
The J.A. Henckels line-up of modern knives is just amazing when it comes to their utility and aesthetic appeal. But I hope that my selective reviews today were able to help you out with all of your knife related problems.
Can’t make up your mind yet? Read our buying guide for kitchen knives before you proceed with your purchase.
You should also check out our reviews of other models:
- Best Wusthof Knife Set 2020
- Boning Knife Reviews 2020
- Bubba Electric Fillet Knife Reviews 2020
- Calphalon 15 Piece Knife Set Review 2020
- Chicago Cutlery Knives Review 2020
- Cuisinart Knife Set Reviews 2020
- Cutco Knives Reviews 2020 – The Finest Quality for The Finest Dining Experience
- Dalstrong Knives Review 2020
- Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews 2020
- Emeril Forged Knife Block Set Reviews 2020
- Global GF-35 Heavyweight Chef’s Knife Review
- Kamikoto Knife Reviews 2020 – Perfect Blend of Cutting Prowess and Aesthetic Beauty
- KitchenAid Knife Set Reviews 2020
- Kyocera KB5PCSET-FKWHRD Revolution Ceramic Knives Review
- Laguiole Set of 8 Steak Knives Forged Steel Blades Review
- Oneida Pro Series 14-Piece Side Tang Knife Block Set Review
- Victorinox Knife Set Review 2020