To have good cutlery in your kitchen means that you have an asset. This not only makes your kitchen one of the most beautiful places in your house to be at, but it is that precise thing that adds peace and joy to your food.
Selecting the perfect cutlery for your kitchen and dining has always been a challenging feat for most. Not all cutlery that looks good could be expected to be functional.
Also, cutlery could be an expensive business, especially if you want to go for some of the top and trusted brands for securing functionality with good looks.
However, with the advent of newer brands by the day, the range of affordable kitchen supplies has broadened considerably, so much so that we can now be hopeful of actually finding just what we need at a comparatively affordable price tag.
One such brand is Chicago Cutlery that had consistently delivered as much in quality as it has maintained an authenticity for all its product designs. But even with all this, how much exactly can you expect it to perform when it comes to providing high-grade cutlery?
Welcome to my review of the Chicago Cutlery sets!
Chicago Cutlery Knife Set Reviews 2020
Chicago Cutlery Insignia Review
I will justifiably start this list with the most popular and top-selling cutlery set from this brand. The Insignia Steel cutlery set is simply a spectacular collection of knives that achieves the highest degrees of functionality and performance to bring you outstanding results.
My experience with the product
Right off the bat, I’m just gonna say that it has been tough for me to not look at the set twice every time I use the knives, given their stunning design.
The set includes every sort of knives, including a Santoku and a pair of shears. The blades are crafted from high-carbon stainless steel. This ensures lasting durability and resistance to rust and stains along with hairsplitting sharpness on the 25 Degree Taper Grind edge.
This also makes them easy to resharpen. And as if resharpening was a factor, the set comes with a knife-holder wooden block consisting of built-in sharpening slots that keep your knives sharpened on its own all the time!
The blades provide precision cutting for some of the toughest meats, poultry, and vegetables. The full tang construction ensures balance and strength for the knives, enabling complete control for the user to maneuver it freely.
The handles on the blades have a beautiful sharpened finish. These are specially contoured to provide all the comfort of using the knives. The anti-slip grip makes it safe for you to use the knives and prevents any potential accidents.
However, I wish it was a tad bit on the affordable side of things, for that matter.
- Immensely durable high-carbon stainless steel construction
- Resistant to corrosion, rusting and stains
- Comes with a built-in sharpener in the wooden knife holder and separate wooden cutting board
- The anti-slip, contoured grip on the knife handles ensure maximum comfort and ease of use
- Offers a lifetime warranty
- Could be an expensive buy
Chicago Cutlery Avondale Review
The Avondale Knife Set from Chicago Cutlery is one of the classic cutlery sets from the brand. It looks gorgeous and performs marvelously under any given situation. It is comparatively much more affordable than its contemporaries and other high brands, which makes it sell like hot cakes in the quality cutlery department.
My experience with the product
What I really like about this particular knife set is its charming simplicity. It fuses the modern approach of the finish on the knives with a traditional element in the design.
For a person who wants the look and feel of a dated finish on their kitchen tools, this is an ideal cutlery set to have in one’s kitchen space.
The high-carbon stainless steel makes the structure of the knives formidable enough to withstand external shocks and daily wear and tear without losing their edge.
The blades on these knives are sharp enough to cut tougher tissues such as tendons in the joints and cartilage, providing a power-packed performance that way.
Even the handles of the knives are designed to provide ease of use and maneuverability to the user during cutting. The blades come with full tang construction that contributes to the overall strength of the knives.
This also provides proper balance during cutting, allowing you to cut through harder substances with the least amount of pressure.
The set, however, lacks a Santoku knife and a boning knife. And although the material is known to be high-carbon stainless steel, the knives are not entirely resistant to stains and rust. The company does recommend you to dry the knives completely before storing them to avoid rust.
- Aesthetically appealing traditional looks to the set
- High-carbon stainless steel construction that’s strong enough to resist a blunt force
- Forged design with fully extended tangs that provide strength and balance for effortless cutting
- Comes with a lifetime warranty from the brand
- Sharp enough to cut through tough joints
- Prone to rusts and stains
- Misses out certain knife models
Chicago Cutlery Insignia2 Reviews
Following the same route as that of the former model of the complete Insignia set by Chicago Cutlery, the Insignia 2 which is the second version also brings the combination of magnificent design with superior performance for every cut that it makes.
Price-wise, it stands on a middle-ground between the Insignia and the Avondale, which still makes it an expensive purchase.
My experience with the product
The Insignia 2 bears almost all the characteristics of the Insignia in the design and build construction of its knives. They are constructed from high carbon steel of course, like the rest of two sets from the brand that I reviewed earlier for you.
The set carries almost all the models of kitchen knives that you may require under normal circumstances.
I found this to be a pretty functional set after the first Insignia version, providing similar benefits at a lower price than the latter. The blades are super-sharp and can cut, chop and dice meat, vegetables, and fish with ease.
These are fitted with heavy-duty forged bolsters to maximize the performance of the knives on harder substances.
The blades have fully extended tangs that are fitted securely with triple-stainless steel rivets into the handles, providing strength and balance to the knives.
You can use the knives to cut through pretty much anything without applying much effort or pressure.
The handles on these knives are made of polymer. These are contoured to provide an anti-slip grip for you.
However, the only issue I had with this set is that the built-in sharpener in the wood block knife holder doesn’t seem to sharpen the blades all that much.
- Comes with almost all the knife models and characteristics of the original Insignia version
- Substantially durable and resistant to rust or stains
- Super-sharp blades can cut through almost any kind of edible substance
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Ergonomic handle design provides maximum comfort and ease of use
- Contoured grip prevents slippage and any potential knife accident
- Brilliantly designed
- The built-in knife sharpener in the wood block doesn’t do much
- Could still be expensive for some
Overall I enjoyed trying out the Chicago cutlery sets for myself. It had been an incredibly pleasurable and satisfying experience given the beauty and the superior performance of each of the knives from all three sets.
Although on an average, it may be a tad bit steeper in price, it does provide all the value for the money you pay for it.
Can’t make up your mind yet? Read our buying guide for kitchen knives before you proceed with your purchase.
You should also check out our reviews of other models:
- Best Henckels Knife Set 2020
- Best Wusthof Knife Set 2020
- Boning Knife Reviews 2020
- Bubba Electric Fillet Knife Reviews 2020
- Calphalon 15 Piece Knife Set Review 2020
- Cuisinart Knife Set Reviews 2020
- Cutco Knives Reviews 2020 – The Finest Quality for The Finest Dining Experience
- Dalstrong Knives Review 2020
- Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews 2020
- Emeril Forged Knife Block Set Reviews 2020
- Global GF-35 Heavyweight Chef’s Knife Review
- Kamikoto Knife Reviews 2020 – Perfect Blend of Cutting Prowess and Aesthetic Beauty
- KitchenAid Knife Set Reviews 2020
- Kyocera KB5PCSET-FKWHRD Revolution Ceramic Knives Review
- Laguiole Set of 8 Steak Knives Forged Steel Blades Review
- Oneida Pro Series 14-Piece Side Tang Knife Block Set Review
- Victorinox Knife Set Review 2020